Mumbling

Some random thoughts, sometimes bizarre, sometimes dark, sometimes just incomprehensible!

Name:
Location: Islamabad, Pakistan

I'm an incorrigible optimist, yet a pessimist. I'm a realist, yet an idealist. I'm a dreamer, yet very practical. I'm very liberal, yet very religious. I'm an open person, yet don't share much with anyone. I love people, yet am solitary by nature. I'm too giving, yet too demanding. I'm quite broad-minded, yet very stubborn. I'm as good a listener as bad a talker.

Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Career Choice

I mentioned in my previous post that I did MSc in Applied Psychology. Those of you that know me must be wondering what I'm doing working in a computer-related field. Well, I changed my field of interest so many times.

When I was a kid, I wanted to be a doctor. When I reached high school and actually studied Biology, I hated it. The only area that I liked in it was Genetics, which has nothing to do with Medicine. On the contrary, I loved Maths and Physics. So I opted for Pre-Engineering. I dreamt of becoming a computer engineer. But seems like I was destined for something else. I fell ill during final HSSC exams and hence couldn't do well. I wanted to take the exams again next year, so that I could get grades good enough for Engineering University. But instead my Mom convinced me not to waste a year and go for whatever's available. I wanted to take double Maths and Physics in my Bachelors, but that option was not available in the only girls college in Wah Cantt (where I was living at that time). My second option was double Maths and Stats, but even that was not given to me. So reluctantly I chose Statistics and Economics. But I found Economics too dull, didn't have aptitude for it. So after a few months, I switched over to Psychology. Coz by then, as a result of self-exploration, I had found out that I had a natural flair for this subject and could excel in it without effort. So I was just being lazy, eh! ;-) Actually I wanted to make use of my innate qualities.

After doing Masters in Applied Psychology, I wanted to go to the US for PsyD. But I didn't have the finances. So instead I opted for a Post-graduate Diploma in Clinical Psychology from the Punjab University, which I quit midway as I didn't find it worth doing. I tried practising for a while, worked in a special school as counselor. But I realized that there's still too much lack of awareness about Psychology here in Pakistan and hence no scope. I felt I wasn't able to contribute anything in the field under the current circumstances, so I left. But I'm a person who believes in making best use of my circumstances and not fretting about what's beyond my control. So I kept doing small stuff. I was interested in computers and hence got involved in web stuff - though I've never had any computer education. But I'm keen to learn, anything and everything, so I kept exploring and experimenting. I started out by voluntarily assisting in editing an ezine. Then I worked as coordinator for a small web project. In early 2001, I was hired as global coordinator by a sofware development company specializing in financial technologies. I'm still with this company and have risen to the position of a Manager. I love my work, it's challenging; so I'm enjoying my career so far, and have no thoughts yet of another switchover ;-)

The reason for such multiple change of fields was certaintly not a lack of interest in the field, rather I've found myself interested in so many fields. I believe that every person is multi-talented. There are a lot of avenues one can discover. Some more, some less, but usually there are quite a few things one can be good at. So it's not necessary to focus on just one. In fact one can try all, or at least some, as long he/she can derive pleasure from any one of them.

I've always believed: Do what you can enjoy; if you can't, don't do it. There's no use of doing anything half-heartedly, coz sooner or later it'll become a drag for you. And no use of living life if you can't live it fully.

1 Comments:

Blogger افتخار اجمل بھوپال said...

Munira is my only daughter very dear to me and she loves me more than I do. She loves her Mom and brothers so much that I cannot put in words. I am not saying it because I am her father but anybody who knows her will say the same. In fact, God has blessed her with a very loving and soft heart. Sympathetic to the core to not only human beings but also to animals.
Now coming on to the point "her career". She has high level of adoptability. From childhood her bending was towards engineering. I could guess that being an engineer. The social structure in our country not being condusive I was able to convince her to take up medicine. Biology didn't come to her liking. She was yet in class 8 when I purchased a PC for my childrten. Keeping in view her interest in engineering, I thought she could take up computer engineering. Thus, she took physics and math in Intermediate. Her severe sickness just before and during the exams did not let her make a good grade and also computer engineering courses were not available in Pakistan. This forced her to another change-over, psychology this time.

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home